DUI Attorneys – What To Do When Being Pulled Over
It is very important to understand what you should or should not do if you are ever questioned by law enforcement for DUI (driving under the influence). How you behave will be closely watched by law enforcement and if you show even just a small sign of being under the influence of alcohol or drugs you may be asked to submit to field sobriety tests and a breathalyzer test.
What to do When Being Pulled over for DUI:
– Do stop your motor vehicle, turn off your engine, roll down your window and place your hands on the wheel when stopped by law enforcement.
– Do give your drivers license, insurance and registration to law enforcement when asked.
– Do ask to speak with a lawyer immediately.
– Do politely refuse to answer any questions that law enforcement asks you.
– Do advise law enforcement of your legal right to remain silent until you have an attorney present.
– Do ask to submit to an independent test to measure BAC (blood alcohol content).
– Don’t be argumentative with law enforcement.
– Do refuse any and all field sobriety tests.
– Don’t allow law enforcement to administer a PBT (Preliminary Breath Test) – you legally can refuse.
– Don’t sign anything other than the DMV Hearing request form and DUI ticket (this is not an admission of guilt).
Understanding Your Legal Rights
It is very important that you protect your legal rights if you are ever suspected of DUI. Failure to uphold your legal rights can result in very serious DUI penalties if you are convicted and a lifetime mark on your criminal record.
Please contact a DUI defense attorney at DUI Lawyers immediately if you or a loved one is facing DUI charges. They understand your legal rights and can aggressively fight to protect your future. This article is by Brian Andrews, a premier Los Angeles personal injury lawyer and a partner at the Pacific Attorney Group.